ENVIRONMENT & SUSTAINABILITY
- Sustainable Green Infrastructure- In order to reduce the cost associated with stormwater, street repair, and water pollution.
Green Infrastructure has been used in hundreds of cities throughout the world. In Order to reduce rainwater pollution, flash flooding, cement, and other environmentally harmful materials. A study done by American Rivers in 2012 showed that 75% of green infrastructure projects were at or below the price of traditional infrastructure. Green Infrastructure beautifies our streets, naturally cleans polluted water, reduces our carbon footprint, reduces overflow to our wastewater infrastructure.
- Implementing Food Waste Initiative- In order to reduce food waste in our landfill, decrease methane pollution, and build a healthier community that provides fresh produce to those in need.
We will research best practices to get businesses involved to donate or offer small incentives to give unsellable produce to local food pantries, inedible food to local community gardens. The purpose is to increase the number of fresh produce citizens have to consume, reducing landfill space using inedible food for compost, while reducing the cost of transporting trash from grocery stores in our city.
- Implementing renewable energy program- In Order to reduce the cost associated with utilities, reduce our carbon footprint on behalf of city government.
We will introduce an innovative renewable energy plan to install renewable energy systems in all city facilities, including solar water heating for public swimming pools, landfill gas to energy conversion, and other cost-saving methods. Our city spends over $14 million dollars on utilities, investing in renewable energy can reduce utility cost while protecting our environment for future generations.
- Historic Preservation- Initiate historic survey of El Paso to identify areas for investment of heritage tourism.
- Implement heritage tourism- Build plans throughout El Paso, while creating incentive programs to restore properties.
- Bi-National Downtown- Work with our New Mexican and Mexican neighbors to create a Tri-State, Bi-National heritage, cultural plan that includes economic incentives, Art Markets, Historic tours.
- Support- Makerspace, commercial kitchens while housing a retail incubator for local entrepreneurs. A retail incubator could be a publicly-run series of connected, starter shops where students and entrepreneurs in our region could test out a business in the real world.
- Sustainable Innovation Hubs- Focus on building companies create incentive programs for local entrepreneurs, rather than chasing corporations that offer low wages, and often leave cities as soon as tax abatements seize.
- Establish rules- Requiring corporations who receive tax incentives pay a minimum of $13 dollars an hour, including sick days, and requiring businesses to have a sustainable energy plan to produce a minimum of 10% of energy thru renewable.
- Voter Initiative- Ask voters if they want to end future plans for any new sports facility to be built with city funds, whether taxpayer supported or thru other city revenues. We must end corporate welfare, that burdens our city budget with unsustainable debt while others reap the profits.
- Community Input- dedicate to hearing from community voices, walking to residents homes weekly, sending surveys, hosting live stream town halls.
- Equality- Fight for equal investment throughout the city, while creating small business incentive funds throughout the 8 districts in the city. Far too long District 6 has been left out of the funding process, while we see the city invest millions for campaign donors.
- ENDA- Develop an implementation plan for Employment Non-Discrimination Act, to protect LGBT employees from wrongful termination based on Gender Identity, Sexual Orientation, etc.
- Foreign Trade Zone- Require new businesses applying to Foreign Trade Zone pay a minimum of $13 an hour, guarantee paid sick days. It is imperative that businesses who enter FTZ are guaranteeing living wages, while they reap the benefits of paying no taxes or delaying them.
- Paid Sick Days- Develop a plan to implement paid sick day benefits for private employees of large to medium size businesses.